Employment and Internships
Museum Interns - Spring/Summer 2013
Job Title: Museum Interns
The Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust has several unpaid internships available during the spring and summer of 2013. Interns are trained and assigned to perform guest relations duties (description below) including tour delivery. In addition, other areas of museum services and nonprofit management may be experienced through the internship. These areas may include public education, volunteer resources, special events, development, and membership (project example descriptions below).
In preparation to perform guest relations duties and deliver tours to visitors, interns are required to:
- Participate in and successfully complete a self-study interpreter training over the course of the first two weeks of the internship under the direction of the director of volunteer resources.
- Upon completion, commit to providing a minimum of eight weeks service to the Preservation Trust including 48 hours of guest relations duties during spring and summer of 2013.
- Ability to work at least one weekend day of each week of the internship and one national holiday.
GUEST RELATIONS DUTIES:
- Lead interpretive tours of the museum and the neighborhood. Introduce public tours, lead tours and help oversee special tours for youth and families.
- Manage audio equipment for tours, explaining procedures and neighborhood etiquette. Check parcels and oversee security of checked items. Keep publicity materials stocked.
- Staff the reception desk at the office and the information table for the museums. Provide accurate information about the museums, the Preservation Trust and the neighborhood to visitors, callers and volunteers.
- Promote memberships.
- Other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL PROJECT EXAMPLES:
In addition to the 48 hour commitment to guest relations duties during the internship, interns may be matched with projects in other departments of the Preservation Trust. These may include projects such as:
- Education: Assist the education department in planning and hosting programs. Prepare and mail packets, collect and/or set up supplies and equipment, assist staff with program delivery and collect/summarize evaluations, conduct research, other department duties as assigned.
- Volunteer Administration: Assist the volunteer resources department with volunteer recruitment and recognition activities. Make scheduling calls, respond to inquiries, set up equipment for events, compile materials, digitize paper records, write articles and take photography for volunteer communications, compile statistics, conduct research, produce reports, other department duties as assigned.
- Office Administration: Assist with data entry and data cleanup to maintain current information on various constituencies of the Trust. Assist with filing in finance office.
- Public Programs: Assist with the assessment of the pilot programs at the Robie House or Home and Studio: observe visitors on site; interview visitors about their experience; assist with program delivery depending on training received to give Robie tours or deliver special programs.
Computer literacy with working knowledge of MS Office software required. Accurate keyboarding skills. Experience with standard office equipment and/or point of sale registers helpful. Interest in and aptitude for customer service and public relations; ability to interact in a welcoming and helpful manner with visitors of all ages, ability levels and ethnic backgrounds. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Following is a list of our current openings:
Email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to . Reference position title in subject line. Applicants are screened by human resources and resumes of qualified candidates are referred to individual departments.
NO PHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Thank you for your interest in employment with us. The Preservation Trust does not accept unsolicited resumes. All open positions with the organization are posted and application instructions are included.